Basic Amenities Required by Law
In the State of California, a landlord is required to provide certain basic amenities to all tenants within their buildings. This article will explain some of the important amenities that are required by law, to help you maintain a safe and healthy lifestyle for you and your family.
Make Sure Your Rental Unit Has These Basic Amenities That Are Required By Law:
- Waterproofing and weather protection of the roof and exterior walls, including unbroken windows and doors.
- Plumbing and gas facilities that conform to applicable law.
- A water supply, under your control or with the appropriate fixtures, capable of producing hot and cold running water, and connected to a sewage disposal system.
- Heating facilities that conform to applicable law.
- Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment that conform to applicable law.
- Cleanliness in the building, grounds and surrounding areas, meaning they are sanitary and free from accumulations of debris, filth, rubbish, garbage, rodents and vermin.
- An adequate number of appropriate receptacles for garbage and trash.
- Good repair and maintenance of the floors, stairways and railings.
- Mail receptacles for each unit if you live in a residential hotel.
Since 1995, attorney Eric Castelblanco has been dedicated to helping tenants understand and assert their rights. For more information about your rights, call (213)388-6004 or visit his website at www.castelblanco.com. The information presented in this column is for educational purposes only. You should seek the advice of an attorney regarding your individual situation.